Friday, August 19, 2016

Politics Religion

I have maintained a strict "no politics, no religion" policy when it comes to my public writings, such as this blog. Believe me, that isn't always easy, especially this election cycle with everything that's going on. I long to speak out on my views, defend my beliefs and take to task the deliberately twisted rhetoric of the other side. I have opinions, expressed or not, and it goes against the grain not to express them in the public forum, be heard, and add my voice to the strength of those on the same side of the important issues of the day as me.

There are those who have told me that, given the public platform I've been able to gain through my publicity and my books, that I am even obligated to use it to add my voice to the public square, lend my reason and logic to the strength of my "side," and exercise my freedom of speech and the soap box I've been granted through my success in a way that matters for the lives of current and future generations.

But I'm not going to do that. I'm gong to resist the considerable temptation to do so. Why? Because if my opinions and convictions serve to sway anyone to my "side," it isn't really going to be many. Most people who hold convictions are usually pretty invested in those convictions, and it is going to take more than some Facebook posts, tweets, and blog articles to change their minds, even by one of their ostensibly favorite writers. And anyone so easily swayed is probably prime to be easily swayed back again. In the end, the difference I could make would be marginal at most.

Meanwhile, I risk alienating readers, who could learn more about my convictions and the motives behind them by reading my books and stories. My convictions are there, in everything I write, but they are not preached or brayed. They are woven into the fabric of the plots, the actions of the heroes and heroines, and even reflected (in the reverse way the a mirror reflects) in the actions and motives of my villains.

So don't look for me to be arguing politics or religion on this blog, or any of my public media. I have better, more effective ways of getting my points across.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home